Even though I professed to have found my holy grail of brown liquid eyeliners I must admit that I didn’t stop. I’ve kept going and have continued my search. I still love Youngblood Maroon but I was hoping to find one that was easier to get ahold of. With a liquid eyeliner sometimes I’ll find that it works perfectly one day and the next it’s drying out and not the same. In one week I found that with both Youngblood and Stila so the search was back on.
My two choices were tarte Lights, Camera Lashes Precision Longwear Eyeliner in brown and Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Liner + Serum also in Deep Brown.
If you had asked me before I bought these two which I’d most likely prefer I’d have said tarte. I am a big fan of tarte cosmetics and have many wonderful products that I love from them and that get used constantly. Other than the gel eyeliners that Physicians Formula used to make, I really don’t have much PF in my collection. Let’s see who is the winner of this battle.
TARTE LIGHTS, CAMERA, LASHES PRECISION LONGWEAR EYELINER is available in two shades – brown, which is described as deep brown, and black. This $20 eyeliner comes in beautiful tarte purple packaging with a gold and hot pink/purple box that’s just as beautiful.
The eyeliner wears for a long time and I have no problem with it lasting just like promised. This is limited edition which surprised me since I’d expect tarte to have a liquid liner among their selections. As beautiful as this looks, I have two problems with it. #1 is the color
Does this look brown to you? It looks black on my hand and also on my eyes. I have favorite black liquids but it’s brown I wear most of the time. Problem #2 is the length of the tip
It’s very long and I find it hard to control. Considering that I wear liquid eyeliners all the time, I do have the hang of them but this tarte Lights Camera Lashes Precision Longwear Eyeliner gives me grief. I always make mistakes that have to be corrected. That combined with the very deep color means this is the loser of this battle for me.
PHYSICANS FORMULA 2-IN-1 LASHLASH BOOSTING EYELINER + SERUM is a double duty product. Not only is it an easy to use liquid liner but it’s meant to help with lash growth.
I’ve only been using this for a few weeks so I don’t know if it will help with it but the claims say that it will help with longer and fuller looking lashes. I’ve been using NR Skin Lash Teez and I’ve noticed a difference in the length of my lashes and I do believe that this is helping too. It can’t hurt can it?
Now let’s talk about the two things that I didn’t love about the tarte – color and tip point.
Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum IS brown. It’s a great brown too because it looks brown and natural when on my eyes. The tip is very easy to work with because it’s a great length. It’s at least 1/2 cm shorter than the tarte. That may not seem like much but it’s the difference between a sloppy line and a clean neat one.
The Physicians Formula liner is also less expensive and you know there are always specials on it. I bought mine at Meijers and got 10% off plus $5 off my beauty purchase. CVS seems to charge more for this but then they have reward card deals almost every week.
Obviously the winner of the battle of liquid eyeliners was revealed earlier and it’s Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum. This is the one I’ll continue to buy and recommend to you. What are your favorite liquid eyeliners? Have you tried either of these? — Marcia
*nothing to disclose
The best drugstore score I’ve made lately is the Physician’s Formula Shimmer Strips Nude Eyes. This eyeshadow palette has 9 strips of shimmery eyeshadow that can be grouped into three separate families (Natural, Playful, and Dramatic) with the darker shadow for lining, the medium shade for the lid, and the lighter shade for highlighting the brow. However, I play around and use any of the shades as they are all complimentary neutrals.
I’ve seen prices for this palette ranging from $5.99 to $10.99. Even the most expensive price is an awesome deal for nine eyeshadows, and there isn’t a dud shade in the bunch.
Such cute packaging, the black lace overlay is adorable.
The eyeshadows are a mix of cool and warm nude shades. I am not sure why, but the size of the strips vary – the skinny strips, which are the darker ‘liner’ shades, are a bit of a challenge for fitting in your makeup brush.
I have found there are two things to do to make this wonderfully affordable palette perform like a high-end palette:
1. Use an eyeshadow primer. My all time favorite is Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy ($7) but this can only be found online.
I also really like Kryolan Eyeshadow Primer ($17.30).
Without a primer, the colors are all very, very soft – far too subtle for any look. But with a primer, the colors come to life and are truly gorgeous.
2. Use a sponge tip eyeshadow brush for application. Blend the eyeshadow out with any brush you’d like, but to initially pack on the color a sponge tip is by far the best way to go. My favorite is the Make Up For Ever 222 brush ($13).
With a primer and a sponge tip applicator, the Physician’s Formula Shimmer Strips Nude Eyes performs just as well as my Urban Decay Naked2 Palette.
The next time you are at the drugstore looking for a quality, inexpensive cosmetic pick-me-up, keep this fantastic palette in mind. You won’t find a better score than this! – Lisa
Whether you or your kids are going back to school or off to college, it’s the perfect time of year to find deals on essential beauty products. The Meijer Beauty team challenged me to find my top back-to-school picks, and it was gratifying to see my must-have bath, body and color items with wonderful prices. Considering I work in a high school and have kids in both college and middle school, I am all about finding the best products at the right price. Drumroll please…my top ten recommendations for essential (and budget friendly) back-to-school products.
1. J.R. Watkins Foaming Hand Soap ($4.99, I got it at Meijer for $4.49) The reason I first bought this hand soap was for the awesome vintage label. The reason I keep buying it? It’s excellent foaming hand soap, especially for the price. The soap in public buildings like schools is usually pretty rough stuff, I wash my hands all the time. My solution is to bring my own. I keep this soap in my office, and it would fit nicely into a locker. I like the Aloe and Green Tea scent as a real mood enhancer to help get the school year off right.
2. I love…Coconut & Cream Bubble Bath and Shower Cream ($7.29) This British brand is soooo good…doesn’t the packaging look like the Philosophy bottles? I actually prefer the I love… brand, and it is so much more affordable. I start my day with a shower then end it with a bubble bath, and the Coconut & Cream scent takes me right back onto vacation.
3. Goody 50 piece Ouchless No Metal Elastics ($2.19, but I got mine at Meijer for $1.10!) The perfect way to hide morning bedhead is with a ponytail or bun…and these Ouchless Elastics don’t snag, pull, or break hair strands.
4. Nivea Lip Butter in Caramel Cream Kiss ($3.99) This super cute lip butter has only been available in the U.S. for about a year, and I am so happy it’s easily found now! It has great slip and keeps lips soft and moist, plus it tastes like caramel toffee. Yum.
5. Meijer Hand Sanitizer ($1.19) This is simply a must-have for purses and backpacks. You never know who was sitting in that desk or what nose they were picking…eewwwwww.
6. Cover Girl Bombshell Volume by Lashblast Mascara ($9.39) I think this is the best drugstore mascara out there. One end is the base coat, which gives definition and length perfect for casual days. When I want more oomph – and I mean fantastic oomph – I use the other end, the intensifying top coat. This side darkens lashes and provides mega-drama without any flakes or smearing.
7. Physician’s Formula Nude Eyes ($9.99, but I got mine at Meijer for an incredible $6.99) I am loving neutral, nude eyes with berry cheeks for the fall, and this nude eyeshadow palette is to die for. Is it reminding you of the Urban Decay Naked2 palette? Yup, me too, but this is way cheaper with the same quality. Use these shadows dry or wet for more intensity, and keep the palette sitting out because the packaging is stunning.
8. Maybelline Hi-Lighting Blush in Pink Rose ($8.29) Just check out the gorgeousness of this mosaic highlighter/blush. The soft, creamy shades can be used alone, but I like to swirl a big brush over the whole thing for a beautiful berry glow on my cheeks.
9 and 10. Nicole by OPI Nail Polish in Sing You Like a Bee and Cocoa a Gogo ($5.99 each) Going back to school is an awesome reason to treat yourself to a manicure and a pedicure, and these two shades are perfect for a nude and berry combo.
Sing You Like a Bee is from the Carrie Underwood collection. This is a gorgeous sheer white with golden shimmers. It is a beautiful shimmery nude look by itself, and it makes a perfect top layer over pretty much any color.
Cocoa a Gogo is a shimmery chocolate-brown that I love for pedicures…and it is the perfect color for transitioning into cool days and cozy nights by the fire. Even better, it smells like cinnamon!
Not only are these ten products essentials, it also costs less than $55 to purchase them all at Meijer. Get your style on for back to school and save money too!
Be sure to check out MeijerStyle.com the last week in August for a post with links to lots of blogger Back-to-School articles – one lucky person who comments on the MeijerStyle.com post will receive a gift basket of Back-to-School/Back-to-College products. – Lisa
*products reviewed courtesty of Meijer, opinions and selection of items all my own!
*some items received for review
I know you are just dying to read my posts and can’t quite get enough. Even if that’s not the truth, I’m still sharing a few guest posts I did for Prime Beauty. – Marcia
MAYBELLINE SHOW OFF Nail Polish in Styled Out (I love this!!)
An old post on Physician’s Formula gel liners
Thanks for reading!!