Recently I was sent the results of an astounding survey from SkinStore.com. I personally think of beauty products as a way to enhance my natural beauty and to provide an outlet for my own self expression, which is why I decided to become a beauty blogger. I guess I never thought about the fact that many women feel so insecure about themselves they turn to beauty products strictly for some confidence. In honor of National Improvement Month, Skinstore.com did a survey of women to measure how they felt about their own natural beauty.
What floored me in their results? Just 2% of women would describe themselves as ‘gorgeous’, yet 60% feel ‘fairly average and nothing special’. This makes me so sad! I see such beauty in women. Why is it so hard to see that beauty within ourselves? Here are some more shocking stats:
- A surprising 1 in 3 reveal they would never leave the house without make-up.
- 50% wouldn’t even go to work if they couldn’t wear a full face of make-up
- When it comes to choosing just one product for self-confidence, over half choose Foundation to ‘cover up’.
- Over 75% say their nose is their most detested feature
- 3/4 women vote nude lipstick as the most confidence-boosting shade – the iconic pillar box didn’t even make the top 5
- 80% refuse to go make-up free no more than 1 day per week
- Only 15% are confident with their natural beauty, and wouldn’t change anything
I can’t help but think that if we all celebrated the beauty in one another, we would be much more confident in our own skin. Let’s concentrate on appreciating one another and actively showing that appreciation. What if every day you had this on your ‘to-do’ list: Give a female stranger a sincere compliment every day. Let’s do that for the rest of the month – spread some kindness and appreciation to your fellow fierce females. Because we are special and we DESERVE it. – Lisa
*Thank you SkinStore.com for the thought-provoking survey and graphic.