One of the best things about blogging is the opportunity to venture away from comfort zones and try products that would not normally even come near one’s personal radar. Lisa and Marcia recently tested Darshana Hair Oil ($38), an Indian hair treatment oil that was a novel experience for both.
Darshana Natural Hair Oil is the creation of a husband and wife team, Darius and Shana. They are of Indian descent so they grew up knowing about the wonders of the oils from India that kept women’s hair looking so shiny and healthy. One day Darius realized that a product like this wasn’t readily available and realized he needed to make this available in the US.
Darshana Hair Oil is made up of natural Ayurvedic Oils (see the list of benefits below). It is a totally natural product that contains no silicone, parabens, sulfates, mineral oil. To make it even better, it’s cruelty free. This costs $38 for the bottle and depending on your usage should last you for months.
Lisa’s Side: I love this hair oil. It is unlike any other hair oil I have tried. Most treatments are styling oils that you put on clean, damp hair before drying and styling. Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil is applied to dry hair then left on for at least a half an hour. Then it’s rinsed out as you shampoo and condition your hair. I was skeptical that it would make a difference…after all, I am washing it out of my hair!! But it really does make hair unbelievably soft and smooth. The Ayurvedic hair oil has ingredients like Antioxidants, Omega 3-6-9, and Vitamins A-B-C-E that penetrate the hair shaft, noticeably - and impressively! – repairing damage.
I apply this to dry hair about an hour before shampooing. I section out my hair then smooth it on from root to end. When all my hair is coated, I massage some into my scalp. Then I clip my hair up and wait…usually spending that hour shopping on the Internet! This is not a treatment you can slap on then go out into public because your hair looks like an oil slick. If you want to use it as a night treatment, I would recommend using a shower cap or wrapping your hair in a towel so the oil doesn’t transfer to your sheets. But it doesn’t feel greasy and the scent is a pleasant, slight citrus that doesn’t linger. Shampooing it out is super easy and the results are simply astounding. Take a trip out of that comfort zone and give this a try!
Marcia’s Side: Lisa and I have used DARSHANA a little differently. Besides using it as an overnight treatment or a daily treatment, I use it as I would any other styling product just after I wash my hair or on second day hair. I have to use the teeniest amount or my hair will become greasy but if I’m very careful with that amount I can run it through my hair and then comb through. I blow dry as usual and end up with hair to be envied.
Darshana leaves my hair beautifully hydrated and silky smooth. My hair is currently growing out a keratin treatment and I’m very cautious with what I put on it. Darshana has only improved it and helped me keep my hair straight and frizz free. I do have two warnings though – use a tiny amount (pour some back in the bottle if you aren’t sure) and wash by the third day or it might start looking a little greasy.
As far as the fragrance goes – I’m a total fragrance phobe and I love it. It’s a very light citrus scent that is gone before you know it. Any fears I had about this oil flew out the window with the very first use.
Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil is highly recommended by the Beauty Info Zone team.
“What are the benefits of the natural Ayurvedic oils?
Long lasting nourishment for smoother, healthier hair:
- Organic Sunflower Seed Oil: Rich in Omega-6 and 9, moisturizes and conditions hair
- Coconut Oil: Contains Vitamin E, Omega-6 and 9, for soft, healthy, hair
- Olive Oil: Rich in Omega 3 for smooth hair with less flyaways
- Apricot Kernal Oil: Rich inVitamins A, B, & E, Omega-6 and 9 to help nourish and moisturize hair and skin
- Vitamin E: Antioxidant that repairs dry damaged hair
- Indian Gooseberry: Vitamin C which promotes healthier hair
- Fenugreek Seed: Conditions your hair
- Castor Oil: Locks in moisture and makes hair soft and shiny
- Acacia extract: Detangler, strengthens, and conditions your hair
- Henna extract: Protects hair color
- Linseed extract: Soothes, moisturizes, and adds radiance to hair and skin
- Chinese Hibiscus extract: Antioxidant, softens, and promotes thicker hair
- Water Hyssop extract: Provides nourishment and vitality for your hair
- Indian Pennywort extract: Rich in Vitamin C and stimulates hair follicles
- Saw Palmetto extract: Gives the appearance of thicker hair
- Red Clover extract: Strengthens and fortifies hair
- Orange and Grapefruit Peel Oil: Aromatic essential oils for fragrance”
*provided for review, information about Ayurvedic Oil is from the Darshana website