This week’s challenge for the Makeup Wars team was to create a face spending no more than $30. We did one previously for a $20 face and I thought this one would be a lot easier, but I didn’t find it to be easier. Even with sticking with a lot of e.l.f. cosmetics I still came in over $30 and that was switching out some of the products I wanted to use. In the end though, I like how I look so it can be almost done.
1) MAYBELLINE FIT ME CONCEALER in Fair – I like this concealer a lot actually. This was one of my top buys for this challenge. The concealer works well under my eyes and to conceal imperfections. Fair is a good match for my NW15 skin too. I’ve tried other concealers from Maybelline but this is the best of the lot. $4.99
2) E.L.F. TINTED MOISTURIZER SPF 20 in Porcelain – There are only 3 shades of this Tinted Moisturizer and Porcelain is the lightest. It’s way too yellow for me so I decided to mix the Maybelline Fit Concealer with it which worked out great. It gave it more substance and mellowed out the color. $3
3) E.L.F. TRANSLUCENT MATTIFYING POWDER – Another winner. I was strolling the aisles of Meijer to buy my products for today and thought I’d have to skip a powder even though I wear one daily. I saw this and I’m really glad I did. It’s translucent so it would work for almost everyone. It’s fragrance free (lots of drugstore products aren’t), it looks natural on, it has a mirror in the compact and a small sponge. $3
4) MAYBELLINE MASTER GLAZE BLUSH – I love these and decided that I’d rather spend a little more and get a color I didn’t have. This time I bought it in Just Pinched Pink which is a warm pink. $7.50
5) BLACK RADIANCE URBAN IDENTITY SHADOW TRIO in Concept – This is my first experience with Black Radiance and I’m impressed. This is the same company that is the creator of WetnWild so I’m not surprised their shadows are so nice. Concept has three shades of green – a mellow muted emerald, khaki and a dark moss green with some shimmer. $2.89
6. E.L.F. WATERPROOF EYELINER PEN in Brown – I like these eyeliners but they dry out quickly. I’ve had this for about 8 months and it’s already harder to get the color out than it used to be. They come in a lot of shades and I’ve found it with all of them. This is something to use while it’s new but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t stay fresh. $2
7. MILANI TOTAL LASH COVER MASCARA – Another item I spent a little more on but the last time we did the challenge I hated the mascara I chose. I’d rather see myself (and you) in a great mascara like this Milani one. Plus I’m all about eyes. $4.99
8) E.L.F. MATTE LIP COLOR in Tea Rose – I had my choice of a lot of ELF lip products but I chose this because of the ease of use. This is truly matte though so it’s best to prep your lips with lip balm first or to put a clear gloss on top. $3
The two things I had to go without was something for my eyebrows (I actually used a $2 WnW shadow for my brows) and an eyeshadow primer so I used a sample of theBalm’s since I had that from a subscription and wanted to stay true to the task.
My bottom line came to $31.50 but that’s without any coupons. At CVS I’m always getting coupons in my email so that brings prices down. For example the Milani Mascara was actually $5.79 at CVS but I had a 30% off coupon so the mascara cost me $4. Coupons and rewards help a lot. My Meijer shopping was on a day they had 5% off, it doesn’t sound like much but every cent counts.
Have you used any of these gems? What would you recommend for a $30 face? — Marcia