We’re concentrating on the beauty part of it since that’s what most of us worry about the minute a trip is planned. I have one word of advice: Ziploc! You need Ziploc bags more than just about anything. Take it from someone who’s opened suitcases and found a suspicious wetness. What a way to start your trip! That special shampoo and/or conditioner that you can’t live without will surely spill if you don’t use a bag like a Ziploc.
Here’s what went with me on my recent California trip. First hair and skin:
1. Decanted DermOrganic shampoo and conditioner poured into travel bottles from a set I bought at Target. Those then went into a small Ziploc bag to seal them tightly. Next I put that and some other items in a heavy duty plastic bag that some products had come packaged in.
2. A mini bottle of Moroccan Oil closed tightly and zipped into a snack size Ziploc. (I keep this and refill it for each trip.)
3. Sample jars of Algenist skincare gotten as a gift from a sweet secret Santa.
4. A sample size of Algenist cleanser bought from their website. Plus a travel soap from DHC.
In other Ziploc bags:
5. My last mini bottle of Mary Kay eye makeup remover.
6. Kiehl’s toner decanted into another empty plastic bottle from the target set.
7. A Ziploc bag filled with Q-tips, DHC cotton squares and some panty liners. (oops, no pix)
8. A sample size eye cream from one of my many subscription boxes.
For my cosmetics I took two cases. First is the red soft plastic train case that was from a special purchase from Clinique.
I can load this up without a problem. Into that went the usual suspects: a neutral palette and one with a little more kick to it. A pink Face Stockholm powder blush. Physician Formula gel eyeliner. Mally Beauty Pore Defender. Mini sample pots with 2 different foundations which of course got put into a snack Ziploc and a MAC concealer wand. Lipstick and gloss (more than needed of course). Add to that a lip balm, Touché Eclat, mascara, a brow pencil and even my brush and comb.
I also took a Bobbi Brown mirrored case from a GWP because I always need a separate mirror and this doubled as a sturdy case for a few loved eyeshadows, Youngblood Cream blush, Tarte concealer and later my new Tom Ford lipgloss.
Last is tools. I’ve bought a variety of sets of travel brushes over the years and now favorites are gathered in a Smashbox kit that contains brushes from MAC, Smashbox , Stila, philosophy, and Paula Dorf. Lots of eyeshadow brushes, a powder brush, a blush brush, an eyeliner brush. There’s a zippered pocket that I have two tweezers in (you never know), some of the brushes, a small pencil sharpener and my Tweezerman eyelash comb. I also keep an eyelash curler. I keep this travel tool set ready to go all the time since I take it with me places that I might need to put on some makeup.
And what did my husband bring? An electric razor, a comb, an all in one body/hair wash. That’s it. But he did put his body/hair wash in a Ziploc bag – I’ve got him indoctrinated too. Luckily that leaves me room in his bag for my hairdryer and flat iron!
What’s in your travel bag? How do you pack it all? For more ideas please follow my fellow Makeup War bloggers to find out what they do. I’m sure to find some great ideas, I always do from them!! Click on their icons and join our travels.