I guess it is officially fall…I saw my first Christmas display at the store today!! I also saw my first red and orange leaves on the trees in my yard. I’m breaking out my heavy jeans, sweaters, and jackets – so much fun to rediscover a whole new season’s wardrobe. Meijer sent me a fabulous box of goodies with everything needed to also change my skin care and cosmetics wardrobe and it reminded me of the five essential tips for transitioning into fall.
1. Rethink your skin care. With the weather turning cooler, the air inside gets drier which changes your skin care needs.
A terrific option for makeup removal and toner is Simple Cleansing Micellar Water ($6.29). It’s all the rage right now and for good reason. This is gentle and easy to use, and most importantly it doesn’t dry out skin. In fact, the micellar water boosts skin hydration 90%. The price is right too, making it a no-brainer for fall.
2. Switch your hair products to compensate for dry indoor air. Just like skin, hair changes with the seasons, and fall brings dry, frizzy, static-filled hair. Go for moisturizing hair products, like Pantene Expert Collection Dry Defy Shampoo and Conditioner ($8.39). This ultra-moisturizing duo tackles even the most parched hair, taking care of frizz, split ends, and static.
3. Try going natural for toothpaste and deodorant. My daughters have completely switched to Tom’s of Maine products and swear by the AntiPlaque and Whitening Toothpaste ($4.49) and Natural Deodorant ($4.49). The toothpaste is flouride-free and fights both cavities and plaque, and the deodorant is aluminum-free with 24 hour odor protection that really works. Not only do these natural products truly perform, Tom’s of Maine walks the talk as a planet friendly line that is truly natural, sustainable, and responsible.
4. Update old products and invest in some fun fall colors. It’s a great time to invest in some new makeup brushes, and definitely time to throw out your old mascara, lip gloss, and foundation and get some fresh new shades.
I am so happy to see that the Real Techniques Travel Essentials Makeup Brush Collection ($12.59) is available at Meijer. Marcia first introduced me to these brushes several years ago and they are absolutely fantastic. This set comes with a cool travel case and it includes my favorite brush of all time – the Domed Shadow Brush.
Mascara needs to be replaced every 2 months or so, and there are great sales at Meijer for the fall season so take advantage! Two picks for long and lush lashes include Covergirl The Super Sizer ($6.99) and Maybelline Volum’ Express the Colossal Chaotic Lash ($6.99). Why not go big this fall? The Super Sizer makes lashes as long as they can get. Don’t give up on the Colossal Chaotic Lash…once I figured out how to use the brush both vertically and horizontally my lashes went from ok to incredible.
Lippies need to be updated too…throw out those gross old lip glosses and sticky lipsticks and try something a little different. I can’t stop raving about the Covergirl Outlast Lipstick in Into the Fuchsia This is a bright, bold shade with a hint of shimmer and the opaque coverage really lasts. It’s a cross between a lipstick and a gel-based balm and it feels divine on the lips.
And how perfect is that Revlon Colorstay 16 Hour Eyeshadow Palette in Surreal ($6.59)? Interestingly, this was part of the Summer 2015 Collection, but I think the gold and green shades are truly perfect for fall.
5. Switch to new scents for the new season. It’s time to say goodbye to soft summer scents and go a bit bolder. For women, I love Versace Bright Crystal ($73). The top notes are pomegranate, Yuzu and frosted accord. Mid-notes include peony and magnolia, and base notes include amber extracted from plants, musk and red woods. I think of this as a ‘frozen flower’ scent…great for transitioning into colder months!
For the man in your life, I am totally gaga for Hugo Man by Hugo Boss ($19.99). The top note is green apple, with aromatic notes and a base of fir balsam. Makes me picture a buff guy in flannel, riding a horse, stopping to pick me an apple as we ride through an orchard…ah, you get the idea. It’s fabulous and you want your guy to smell like this.
If you need an excuse to go shopping, you’ve got two here – you need new things for the new season and Meijer has great sales going on right now. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get ready for fall! – Lisa
*received for editorial consideration