When PUR MINERALS wanted my attention they knew the way to my heart was through cream blush. As much as I love a beautiful powder blush, I love cream blushes more. I just find them so easy to wear. But Pur Minerals wanted me to know how great their powder blush was so they sent one of those too. And they were correct. They got my attention and my heart.
Pur Minerals created two Chateau Cheeks Cream Blushes ($18) one cool, one warm. There’s no way for me to pick a favorite since the colors on both are beautiful. Flirt is a cool pink with a touch of blue in its undertone (even if my pictures belie that statement). It’s described as a soft pink shade which it is but you can build the depth without a problem.
These cream blushes have a very lightweight formula that isn’t the least bit greasy which is what I think people fear from a cream blush. They dry down nicely while still leaving the dewy look that they start with.
Chateau Cream Blush in Coy is one of the most natural looks I’ve experienced in a blush. It’s a soft nude apricot that I find can be worn with just about everything. I especially like it when I’m wearing a more intense eye since it doesn’t compete. I do have to apply it again in the evening if I’m going out but a little dab is all that I need.
Pur Minerals cream blush contains antioxidant-rich resveratrol and vitamin E to nourish, hydrate and promote healthy, youthful skin. They blend easily and beautifully.
There are 4 shades that Pur Minerals has created in their Chateau Cheeks Pressed Powder blush ($18). I have Savvy and it amazes me how pigmented this blush is. The first time I applied it with my angled blush brush I was a little shocked at the intensity of it. A powder puff tamed it but from that point on, I used a very light touch. Savvy is an inviting neutral pink. It’s extremely long lasting so if I’m going out for a long time this is the one I reach for.
Pur Minerals Chateau Cheeks Pressed Powder blushes are infused with Resveratrox® and Vitisin which are harvested exclusively for Pur from Bordeaux’s wine region. You get the anti-oxidants of the grape vines and fruit built into the ingredients of the blush.
Pur Minerals blushes are paraben-free as well as gluten-free plus they never test on animals.
You can make a savvy choice when buying these blushes. You may come off as coy but you’ll still be the flirt that you want to be. Have you experienced the joy of Pur Minerals? If not, here’s your chance to glow. — Marcia
*provided for editorial consideration
PUR MINERALS has a limited edition DECK THE HALLS set right now that you absolutely don’t want to miss. This was sent for testing and I’m in love with it and will most likely pick up another one. The price is ab fab at $12 and the products are just as fabulous.
Inside the DECK THE EYES SET you’ll find a deluxe size Big Look Mascara. A full size is .17 oz (and $20) while this one is only slightly smaller at .12 oz. You’ll also get a liquid eyeliner that is exclusive to the set and is full size.
BIG LOOK MASCARA is fabulous on if you love to lengthen and define. It is totally non-clumping. I just get long, lush looking eyelashes with this.
To make this mascara even better, it’s formulated with Argan Oil. So while you are looking great you are conditioning your lashes at the same time. It’s a beautiful dewy look and it does NOT smudge. The last thing you need is smudging, only a raccoon looks good like that. This is the type of mascara that looks good on a daily basis yet you can build it up for some extra oomph. I’m so happy to have discovered this.
The surprise in Deck the Eyes for me is this Liquid Precision Eyeliner in Black. Pur Minerals doesn’t have a liquid eyeliner in their regular line-up so this is the only place you can get it for now.
This Precision Liquid Eyeliner is water resistant. I need an eye makeup remover to cleanse. I love the point since I can get it as thin as I want or I can use it for a more pronounced eyeliner.
I mostly use liquid eyeliner these days and this one is finding its way into the daily rotation. It’s a true winner.
Deck the Halls makes a wonderful stocking stuffer or gift of any size. The price is totally amazing at $12. It’s available at on Pur Minerals website and possibly at Ulta stores (not online though). Pur Minerals currently has a nice gwp going on with a purchase of $35. Lisa recently reviewed the Pur Minerals 3-pc. Let It Glow Bronzer, Blush, and Brighten Cheek Trio which is $24 and gorgeous.
Then there’s the great Pur Minerals You Better Not Pout Lip Gift Set ($32).
You can’t go wrong with any of these sets but buy two of the LE Deck the Halls or you’ll regret it. — Marcia
*Deck the Halls sent for editorial consideration
Pür Minerals does NOT test its products on animals.
Liquid Precision Eyeliner: Aqua, Glycerin, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Carbon Black (CI 77266)
Big Look Mascara: Aqua, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, PVP, Cetyl Palmitate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Nylon-12, Stearic Acid, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Steareth-20, Copernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Aminomethyl Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Argania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-2, Xanthan Gum, Chlorphenesin. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77499)
Yes, I know. The holidays are about giving. But let’s be honest…receiving is pretty nice, too! This is the time to take full advantage of the wonderful deals and special sets that are only available for the holiday season. Here are five limited edition gifts sent to the BIZ that are worthy of your personal holiday wish list.
1. Pur Minerals 3-pc. Let It Glow Bronzer, Blush, and Brighten Cheek Trio ($24) Already on my wish list, I was sooo happy when Pur Minerals sent us this set! It has three mini twist-up makeup sticks: a bronzer in Naughty & Nice, a blush in Sugar & Spice and a highlighter in Glisten & Glow. Together, these three give you everything you need to contour and create a rosy glow.
2. Meijer Bath Collection Gift Sets #MeijerBeauty: these super cute sets are fantastic gifts for Secret Santa exchanges or for last minute presents – pick some up to have on hand, and get a few for yourself. The Winter White Vanilla scent is especially yummy.
3. BECCA Holiday Collection One Perfecting Brush in Limited Edition Gold ($49 at Sephora and Ulta) I have been jonesing for this multi-purpose brush ever since Marcia did her fabulous review of it last year (read it HERE). Why not get the limited edition gold version? This beautiful brush works for liquids, creams, powders…whatever you want to throw at it. Gotta love the fashion/function combo.
4. Whish Body Vanilla Spice, Sugar Plum and Vanilla Mint Holiday Sets ($24 at Nordstrom.com) I have loved the fabulously retro Whish for years, and this holiday set is just too good to pass up. The three scent choices (Vanilla Spice, Sugar Plum, and Vanilla Mint) are seasonal limited edition, so ask for each set to stock up for the winter months! Each set has a 3 oz Body Wash, Body Butter and Body Scrub – travel friendly and TSA approved sizes.
5. Soap & Paper Factory Roland Pine Soy Candle & Soap Set ($36) The fragrance of this full-size pure soy candle and bar of shea butter soap is pure holiday. The mix of Siberian Fir, pine, and Cedar wood is truly transporting. It makes a great gift, but believe me you will want this set for yourself.
Put these limited edition items on your own Christmas wish list, or do a ‘one for you, one for me’. You’ve been a good girl all year and now it’s time for some rewards! – Lisa
*items reviewed sent for editiorial consideration, opinions all mine
2. Pur Minerals Soul Mattes Eyeshadow Palette ($32) I have been lusting after this palette of 8 matte eyeshadows ever since Pur Minerals released their fall collection. I can see myself using this every day!
3. Pur Minerals You Better Not Pout Lip Gift Set ($32) I definitely want this 7 piece lippie set! It includes two lip gloss sticks in Strawberry Shortcake and Red Velvet, two lip glosses in Vanilla Glaze and Sugar Plum, two lipsticks in Crème Brûlée and Spice Cake, and a lip balm in Sugar Cookie. My lips will definitely be smiling with these pretty holiday shades.
Be sure to check out the Coupons.com magazine for more Cyber Monday savings articles on The Good Stuff, and enter the Coupons.com Cyber Monday Sweepstakes for a chance to win daily prizes or grand prize of $$5,000! – Lisa
So are you a cool eyeshadow person or a warm eyeshadow person? Whichever you prefer, I’ll bet that Pur Minerals has an eyeshadow trio perfect for you.
Recently, Pur Minerals sent me two of their Perfect Fit Eye Shadow Trios ($26) to test. I have neutral skin and I wear both warm and cool colors, so it was great to try both sides of the color world.
I love the effortlessness (is that a word?) of these trios. The eyeshadows are creamy and blendable. Pigmentation is really nice, and the colors stay true for hours without creasing.
Interestingly, Pur Minerals bills these trios as skin care because they have ‘built-in firming ingredients and light-diffusing mineral spheres’ that continue to condition the skin after application. They certainly are moisturizing to the lids thanks to the Meadowfoam Seed Oil, and they don’t exacerbate the wrinkled appearance of crepey eyelids.
The Wild Child trio is a great cool toned combo. The cream shade is not too cool, so it makes for a terrific lid and highlighter color that isn’t too bright. I love the complexity of the pearlescent pinky-lilac medium shade, and the deep grape shade has just a tiny bit of shimmer.
Jetsetter is just plain dreamy. The dark brown is the perfect intensity so it’s not too harsh for daytime. I love the glowy light peach shade, and check out that medium shimmery gold – gorgeous!!
There are nine different trios available, so even if these two color combos aren’t your style I am sure you will find one that is! These fun and functional eyeshadow trios are definitely worth a look. – Lisa
*sent for editorial consideration
Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Magnesium Carbonate, Aqua, Glycerin, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Dicaprylyl Ether, Polysorbate 20, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract, Sorbic Acid, Algae Extract, Xanthan Gum, Polyglyceryl-2, Dipolyhydroxystearate. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 40 (CI 16035), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Chromium Oxide Green (CI 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Black 2 (CI 77266), Carmine (CI 75470). Contains Carmine as a color additive.
I wrote my original ‘Top ten primers‘ post back in 2010, a few years after my primer obsession began. Finding an excellent primer was life-altering for me because for the very first time my makeup actually lasted all day. I’ve always had strange skin, products don’t last long on me at all – I put blush on and an hour later, it’s completely gone. For a long time I thought there was nothing I could do about it – until I found a primer that actually made my makeup (and most happily my blush) last a whole day. I think I bought every primer on the market for the next few years after that. I have owned and used so many different primers I am ashamed to put a number on it.
This list is a long overdue update of my personal choices for the top ten primers – each one is unique, they all have their advantages, and they are all excellent. Which primer I choose is determined by the condition of my skin that day, my skin tone, and the foundation I am going to use. (A side note – I was astounded by the price increases when I updated them!)
My top ten list is not in any particular order – these are my top favorites, but they are all equal in terms of play time they get.
1. Kevyn Aucoin The Primed Skin Developer ($68)
The earlier version, called The Sensual Skin Primer, was actually the primer that began my obsession. I used it one day and could not believe how vibrant and fresh my makeup was 10 hours later. The new version is even better – I use the Normal to Oily one. The texture has slip but it doesn’t feel extremely silicone heavy. It dries quickly to a satin finish. It keeps makeup on like no other. There are some drawbacks, though – it is an expensive item, so expensive that it hurts to buy it. I tend to use this on special occasions only to try to make it last as long as possible. And while I love the hygienic pump bottle, it drives me crazy that I never know how much I have left. Regardless, I will never be without a bottle – and a back up.
2. Grand Central Beauty S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting SERUM+PRIMER ($68)
I like to say that the only time I have ever been wrong was that one time I thought I made a mistake. Unfortunately, in reality I have been wrong on a few more occasions than that…and I was completely wrong about the S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting SERUM+PRIMER. While it has a slew of cool ingredients, including squalane from brazilian sugar cane, apple, watermelon, lentil, rice and soybean protein, I initially thought it worked better as a serum than a primer…totally incorrect. This is a kick ass primer. It keeps makeup looking totally perfect for 12 hours. Every time I use it I think, “How could I have been so wrong??”
3. Reviva Labs Makeup Primer ($19.50) This is absolutely one of my favorite primers of all time. It has silicone, but it isn’t super thick. I find that it works best if I apply the primer and then let it sit for about three minutes. It has a slightly wet texture at first that will collide with your concealer and foundation application. If you wait a few minutes it dries down to a beautiful finish that helps concealer and foundation apply and wear perfectly. It does everything a primer should do: makes skin super smooth, allows even application of concealer and foundation, and increases longevity.
4. Pur Minerals Colour Correcting Foundation Primer in Green ($31):
This is the primer I reach for when I’m broken out. The green color balances out redness from acne, broken capillaries, and rosacea. It doesn’t make me look like an alien – the green transforms into a beautiful, even skin tone color. Less is more with this primer. You don’t need much to neutralize redness and create a perfect canvas for foundation.
5. OCC Skin Primer ($27.50):This is a really cool primer. Not only is it great for the face, but you can also use it as a lid primer for mineral eyeshadows. It’s unlike most primers. You HAVE to shake the bottle before squeezing some out – and then be careful when you do, because it has a thin, liquid consistency. Once applied, wait until it dries because it applies quite wet, but does dry down to a super smooth, satiny finish. And boy does makeup stick to this stuff!
6. Paul and Joe Protective Foundation Primer ($32)
This is, by far, the strangest primer I have ever used. And I love it. It has an SPF of 30. It’s also super watery – it must be properly shaken before squeezing the product out. It has a very thin consistency that dries down to a satiny finish. It also has super fine, really tiny microshimmers in it, which gives skin the best natural looking glow. The primer looks really yellow, but it goes on colorless – aside from the glow. Makeup lasts and lasts with this primer. I find that I reach for it when I am using very matte, oil-inhibiting foundations like Clarins Truly Matte Foundation because the microshimmers counteract the flatness.
7. Cle de Peau Correcting Cream Veil ($76)
I have a love-hate relationship with Cle de Peau. Some products I adore and will buy despite the exorbitant price tag. Other products I can’t stand, and I get offended at the price of items that do absolutely nothing for you. This primer, however, is well worth the price. At the same time, I get the sample sizes at the counter when I can…they are great for travel and give several weeks of use. This primer is a thick, creamy lotion. You don’t need a lot of it – a little goes a very long way. In fact, if you use too much you will get a distinctly white cast to your skin. Use the right amount and it sinks into your skin nicely, leaving no white or greyish cast. Skin is super smooth, lines are filled in, and makeup goes on beautifully and lasts all day. Pores look smaller and it lessens oil production throughout the day. Get a sample at the counter before investing, but I’ll bet once you try it, you’ll want the full size version. I love this under cream foundation.
8. IT Cosmetics Feel the Moment Anti-Aging Primer Serum ($38)
The Feel the Moment Anti-Aging Primer Serum is a thick, super hydrating primer that makes skin baby smooth. Ingredients include caviar extract, hydrolyzed collagen, peptides, hyaluronic acid, vitamins A, E, and C, argan and jojoba oils, and avocado. The serum is in glass jar with a dropper, and two drops is more than enough to prime and hydrate. It goes on slightly tacky then dries down to create a perfect canvas for makeup. This is just what I need for perfect makeup when I have dry skin. I have gone through two bottles of this and am halfway through my third!
9. Algenist Pore Corrector Anti-Aging Primer ($42)
This primer comes in an opaque airless pump which keeps the product integrity and effectiveness safe and sound. It does everything a great primer should do – it reduces the look of pores, creates a satin finish for easy makeup application, and it keeps that makeup in place and reduces fading throughout the day.
Ingredients include Alguronic Acid, which ramps up the anti-aging quotient. I am thrilled that over time it actually improves my skin – but I am even more thrilled with the immediate results of perfectly primed skin. And, of course, not looking like a sad clown with melted makeup at the end of the day is a huge plus!! The Pore Corrector Anti-Aging Primer has a beautifully lightweight texture that doesn’t feel heavy on the skin. While liquidy, it dries quickly and truly makes that beautiful canvas you need to happily play with all the rest of your cosmetics art supplies.
10. Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy ($7) So this is a bit of a cheat…it’s not a face primer, but it is such a fantastic eye primer I had to put it on the list. If you like pigment eyeshadows, you need this. If you have oily lids, you need this. Heck, it’s only seven bucks…try it out! A tiny dab makes eyeshadow not only cling to your lids for dear life, it also brings out a vibrancy you never knew the eyeshadow had in the first place. I think of my Pixie Epoxy as liquid gold.
The biggest difference I notice between my original list from five years ago and the one I have now (beside the price increases!) is the addition of primer/serums. Primers don’t just prime anymore, they also treat the skin. Most people probably only need or want one, maybe two different primers. I happen to be just a *little* obsessive about makeup, so my collection is extreme – but if you are looking for a primer, I am sure you can find something perfect for your needs on this list.
Ok ladies, what is your favorite primer? Is there another amazing primer out there that I just have to try?? There’s always room for one more! – Lisa