I’m on a mission to find fabulous brown liquid eyeliners. It feels like an “impossible mission” at times. There are actually a lot available but at the time of writing this review I’ve yet to find one I’m crazy about. I can’t figure out why there are so many great black liquid eyeliners but brown isn’t around. My goal is to find a brown that’s truly brown – no black browns since those just look black on me. No red browns since the red isn’t attractive. For this mission I’ll be doing a series of reviews about my quest. I’ll surely stick in a brown pencil eyeliner every once in a while plus some black ones too.
To start with I searched my drawers and came up with 4. Some I’d bought and hadn’t opened, some were a little older.
1) L’Oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Liner in Earthen Rock Brown ($8.99) is a great eyeliner but it’s not brown-brown; it’s really a black brown. I bought this because everyone was recommending the Lancome Artliner and I wanted something I could get immediately and that was less expensive. I’m glad I waited before buying L’Oreal’s other liquid (Telescopic Precision) since the brown is going to be this dark too. If you don’t mind a very dark brown liquid eyeliner though, I do like this. It goes on smoothly, evenly and is long lasting. You just have to remember to shake it well before using.
2) Milani Eye Tech Liquid Liner ($7.49) is a mini eyeliner size wise. It’s only 3 ¼ inches long. This comes in either black or brown. It’s a gorgeous brown. I love love love the color since it shows up brown. I have two problems with it though. First is that the size makes it uncomfortable to use but I can live with that. The second problem is that it takes absolutely forever to dry. It feels wet for more than 5 minutes on me. I’m sitting there trying to keep my eyes wide open for so long. I’ll definitely keep on using it but only when I have extra time. Unfortunately this is the only liquid they make in brown.
3) Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($20) in Dark Brown – well you already know what I’m going to say. It’s dark brown all right but really dark brown. It barely shows any brown on me. I’m not crazy about the applicator. Mine is a little wobbly plus it doesn’t flow as smoothly as I wish. Therefore I can’t get the line as thin as I’d like. It makes me realize I like a very firm applicator point on liquids.
4) Lorac Front of the Line PRO ($23) – I bought this on sale from Ulta for $11 when they had one of their beauty events. Lorac comes in black, charcoal and brown. I know I’m sounding like a whiny person so I’ll say some nice things about this liner. It’s truly brown. Yea for that. The packaging is shiny silver and aesthetically appealing. So what’s the problem? The brush isn’t stiff enough therefore it needs 2 or 3 passes which means I can’t keep the line thin enough. I always screw up and have a bump in the road.
5) Milani Liquid Eye ($6.99) – oops! I was at CVS and had a reward coupon and I saw the words “Liquid Eye” and it was brown. Did I look carefully enough to see that it then said “Liquid-Like Eye Liner Pencil”? Did I look at the point and see a pencil point (off kilter at that)? No, I just used my reward and bought it. Now I will tell you that I like it and it’s worth the money. It’s a great brown shade. It goes on smoothly. It lasts very well once it sets. But it doesn’t help my “mission impossible.”
Part 1 doesn’t seem to have a clear winner but there are also no true losers either. Each has something good about it, each has something for me to complain about. I do think that L’Oreal Liner Intense has the edge though so I’d declare this the winner with a “but”. Have you tried any of these 5 liners? Do you have a suggestion for me in my quest? Stay tuned for this mission to continue. — Marcia