I don’t think anything on QVC gets me going like an IT Cosmetics TSV. It’s time to get out your credit card because IT’S A NEW YEAR, YOUR MOST BEAUTIFUL SKIN time. This collection contains 5 brand new products that you need in your life. Not just want but NEED.
1) CC+ Eye Color Correcting Full Coverage Cream is a concealer developed to conceal skin discoloration while hydrating your under-eye area. It has a new type of cooling tip using a unique Cold Spoon Technology ™. You want your eyes nourished since it’s the most delicate skin on your face so you’ll appreciate that it’s made with hyaluronic acid, peptides, hydrolized collagen and silk + grape seed oil. It’s a full coverage cream and it contains SPF 50 to protect your eyes even more!
2) CC+ Color Correcting Full Coverage Cream Compact is the most exciting product in this set. I absolutely adore IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream so to find this in the compact form is a thrill. The compact is airless. You push the button and a precise amount of CC+ Cream is dispensed giving you skincare, sun protection and full coverage. With SPF 50+ UVA/UVB sunscreen it makes it the ideal product for you year round. Your pores will be minimized, it helps correct dark spots, it has an anti-aging serum and a brightening color corrector. I say this is worth the price of the TSV alone.
3) CC+ Airbrush Perfecting Powder is next. This is a lightweight, hydrating powder. It was formulated to help erase the look of fine lines and pores. You’ll end up with an airbrushed look while using a talc free powder infused with hydrolized silk, hydrolized collagen, niacin and peptides. Nothing finer!
4) A new lipstick has come to town with IT’s Blurred Lines Smooth-Fill Lipstick ™ in Lipstick in Love, a nude pink shade. Why not have the look of smoother lips while adding a great color? It’s formulated with nourishing ingredients that are meant to hydrate your lips: shea butter, jojoba, grape seed extract, cherry oil and hyaluronic acid. IT Cosmetics is always trying to up the ante and they’ve done that with a lipstick that helps smooth the look of lip lines.
5) If you’ve never tried IT’s brushes then you are in for a huge treat. This new brush is their CC+ Angled Buffing Foundation Brush. Like all IT brushes this is a luxe, soft brush that does the work for you. It’s custom cut by hand with over 80,000 hairs. You can seamlessly buff your makeup to help the look of pores and fines lines look almost invisible. All IT Cosmetics products are cruelty-free as is the new Angled Buffing Foundation Brush. I can promise you that you’ll love this brush and want to start collecting more from IT.
While I don’t have this TSV yet, I will share pictures once it’s mine. These pix are all from QVC where you can see the set now, A256971. The regular price is $72.50 but on Monday, January 19, 2015 there will be a special TSV price of $59.94. With 5 brand new products of the finest, cruelty free ingredients, this is a bargain. I can’t wait to get mine!!! — Marcia
When Makeup Wars decided that they would do a post about workout favorites I was sort of stumped. I’m not a gym rat. As a matter of fact I scurry away from the gym. But since August I am in a gym at least 3 times a week though it’s for physical therapy. It’s the most workout I’ve gotten since writing those checks for my gym memberships that I never actually used.
*some products sent for editorial consideration while others are purchases
This week the Makeup Wars team is doing a series of articles. We are supposed to pick a favorite foundation for Monday, a favorite lipstick for Tuesday and a favorite blush for Thursday. Picking only one is a chore and it makes me feel like I’m slighting all the others that I call favorites. I’m sort of playing by the rules but maybe not exactly.
I’ve chosen two of my 2014 acquisitions that I haven’t reviewed before. To pretend I’m not cheating only one is a foundation and the other is a CC Cream, which is a form of foundation but who’s counting?
IT COSMETICS O2 ULTRA REPAIR LIQUID OXYGEN FOUNDATION was a gift to me from a wonderful blogger. She knew I wanted to try it and she had it in Fair which was too light for her. When she offered it, I jumped at the chance to try this out. Like all IT Cosmetics products, it has anti-aging skincare built in, “It’s infused with Anti-Aging ingredients and the proprietary IT Cosmetics® Drops of Light Technology® reflecting pigments to optically blur away the appearance of imperfections.”
The foundation starts off sheer but you can build it up to a full coverage if you want. I wore it a lot this summer since I liked that it was lightweight yet gave me good coverage. The formula is dewy and it allows skin to breathe. Ingredients include Peptides, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Niacin, Hyaluronic Acid and Grape Seed Oil plus Vitamins A, C, & E. The foundation is Paraben-free, Talc-free and Sulfate-free and Fragrance-free.
COVER FX CC CREAM, TIME RELEASE TINTED TREATMENT is my newest CC Cream. While I love the CC Cream from IT Cosmetics, I needed to try the Cover FX after all the raves from my friend Phyrra. Since there are 10 shades that this is available in, I went to Sephora to buy mine. I decided that the closest match was N Light which is for fair to light skin with neutral undertones. I actually have a very adaptable skintone since I’m freckled. My swatch makes it look yellower than it actually is.
My favorite way to apply the Cover FX CC Cream is with the Urban Decay Good Karma Blending Brush (which deserves an award for best brush!), although it goes on just as smoothly with my fingers or a Beauty Blender Sponge. It has beautiful coverage for a CC Cream and the bonus is it has SPF 30 plus it’s fragrance free. It’s oil free, contains no parabens, sulfates or phtalates. CC Cream Time Release is clinically tested, vegan, and free of mineral oil, fragrance, gluten, and talc. I have used this so many times that I don’t bother putting it away. I know several times a week I’ll want it.
Both of these deserve to be in my top foundations of the year. They both give a great finish and didn’t melt away in the heat of the summer. They last well throughout the day and contain ingredients that are good for my skin.
I can’t wait to see what the others pick since there’s always room for another foundation in my life! What would you choose if given only one choice? — Marcia
You’ll have to put up with two Top Ten Tuesdays lists today. I just couldn’t resist the FUN one since that’s what I’d love to put into stockings (all of these items are from the amusing website Archie McPhee). Then I went with FEMME since those are the things I’d love. Enjoy — Marcia
Do you have Tuesday, October 14th on your calendar? At midnight on the 14th, the IT Cosmetics Your Most Radiant You! Five-Piece Collection goes on sale as the Today’s Special Value® on QVC®. IT Cosmetics sent us this set, which is a mix of old favorites, including the Celebration Foundation Illumination, Heavenly Luxe® Double Airbrush Foundation Brush, and No-Tug Gel Eyeliner; plus two exciting new products, CC+ Radiance Ombré Blush and Hello Lashes Extensions.
1. The Celebration Foundation Illumination is a full coverage powder foundation. It’s available in 5 color choices; my foundation is the Medium shade. It’s got some pretty cool packaging. The white compact has a lower compartment with a brush (and the reflective metal above it works as a mirror if you need it). The top compartment has the powder foundation and a regular mirror. This powder foundation has peptides, antioxidants, and ‘drops of light technology’ for the added illuminating properties. This is a very silky powder that is particularly excellent for those with oilier complexions. It is definitely full coverage, so a lighter hand is better when applying this.
2. Heavenly Luxe® Double Airbrush Foundation Brush IT Cosmetics has truly fabulous brushes, and the Heavenly Luxe Double Airbrush Foundation Brush is no exception. The brush head has dual fiber brush hairs that are amazingly soft yet firm enough for buffing. This really is a fantastic brush.
3. No-Tug Gel Eyeliner in Black/Brown The No-Tug gel liners are beautiful. They glide on and have terrific lasting power, even with my oily eyelids. I love the self-sharpening feature. If you want more of a point on the end, just pull off the sharpener on the bottom and you can easily get a point that will give you a thin, precise line.
Black Brown is just that – a browned-down black. I love this because sometimes Black seems too harsh for daytime. Black Brown gives me that dark definition I want, but it’s softer. And the black/brown combination is different from a grayed-down black. It’s warmer and just plain pretty. This is waterproof for up to 12 hours.
4. The new CC+® Radiance Ombré Blush is currently only available in this set…and it is a stunner!! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. This has a softer, lighter texture than the IT Cosmetics Vitality Cheek Blush, which by the way is one of my most favorite blushes. The CC+® Radiance Ombré Blush is terrific for a soft glow or layered for more of a pigment punch. Je Ne Sais Quoi is a pretty gradated pink that goes from light pink to deep pink. You could drag your brush in the lighter or darker areas only, but I think a swirl over the entire face of the powder gives a perfect glowy pink pop for cheeks.
5. The final item, also new for this collection, is the Hello Lashes® Extensions 24HR Mascara. This is a five-in-one mascara that makes lashes thick, lush, and sooty black. It is so black that I had to lighten the photo of the wand so you could see the brush head. It’s also good for lashes with conditioners like vitamin B5, peptides, collagen, proteins and green tea. This has nylon fibers that makes lashes incredibly long.
Your Most Radiant You! really is an incredible set. Every item is a winner, so be sure to visit QVC on Tuesday to order this set for yourself. The QVC item # is A260772, or A262259 for auto delivery. – Lisa
*sent for editorial consideration
I wrote my original ‘Top ten primers‘ post back in 2010, a few years after my primer obsession began. Finding an excellent primer was life-altering for me because for the very first time my makeup actually lasted all day. I’ve always had strange skin, products don’t last long on me at all – I put blush on and an hour later, it’s completely gone. For a long time I thought there was nothing I could do about it – until I found a primer that actually made my makeup (and most happily my blush) last a whole day. I think I bought every primer on the market for the next few years after that. I have owned and used so many different primers I am ashamed to put a number on it.
This list is a long overdue update of my personal choices for the top ten primers – each one is unique, they all have their advantages, and they are all excellent. Which primer I choose is determined by the condition of my skin that day, my skin tone, and the foundation I am going to use. (A side note – I was astounded by the price increases when I updated them!)
My top ten list is not in any particular order – these are my top favorites, but they are all equal in terms of play time they get.
1. Kevyn Aucoin The Primed Skin Developer ($68)
The earlier version, called The Sensual Skin Primer, was actually the primer that began my obsession. I used it one day and could not believe how vibrant and fresh my makeup was 10 hours later. The new version is even better – I use the Normal to Oily one. The texture has slip but it doesn’t feel extremely silicone heavy. It dries quickly to a satin finish. It keeps makeup on like no other. There are some drawbacks, though – it is an expensive item, so expensive that it hurts to buy it. I tend to use this on special occasions only to try to make it last as long as possible. And while I love the hygienic pump bottle, it drives me crazy that I never know how much I have left. Regardless, I will never be without a bottle – and a back up.
2. Grand Central Beauty S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting SERUM+PRIMER ($68)
I like to say that the only time I have ever been wrong was that one time I thought I made a mistake. Unfortunately, in reality I have been wrong on a few more occasions than that…and I was completely wrong about the S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting SERUM+PRIMER. While it has a slew of cool ingredients, including squalane from brazilian sugar cane, apple, watermelon, lentil, rice and soybean protein, I initially thought it worked better as a serum than a primer…totally incorrect. This is a kick ass primer. It keeps makeup looking totally perfect for 12 hours. Every time I use it I think, “How could I have been so wrong??”
3. Reviva Labs Makeup Primer ($19.50) This is absolutely one of my favorite primers of all time. It has silicone, but it isn’t super thick. I find that it works best if I apply the primer and then let it sit for about three minutes. It has a slightly wet texture at first that will collide with your concealer and foundation application. If you wait a few minutes it dries down to a beautiful finish that helps concealer and foundation apply and wear perfectly. It does everything a primer should do: makes skin super smooth, allows even application of concealer and foundation, and increases longevity.
4. Pur Minerals Colour Correcting Foundation Primer in Green ($31):
This is the primer I reach for when I’m broken out. The green color balances out redness from acne, broken capillaries, and rosacea. It doesn’t make me look like an alien – the green transforms into a beautiful, even skin tone color. Less is more with this primer. You don’t need much to neutralize redness and create a perfect canvas for foundation.
5. OCC Skin Primer ($27.50):This is a really cool primer. Not only is it great for the face, but you can also use it as a lid primer for mineral eyeshadows. It’s unlike most primers. You HAVE to shake the bottle before squeezing some out – and then be careful when you do, because it has a thin, liquid consistency. Once applied, wait until it dries because it applies quite wet, but does dry down to a super smooth, satiny finish. And boy does makeup stick to this stuff!
6. Paul and Joe Protective Foundation Primer ($32)
This is, by far, the strangest primer I have ever used. And I love it. It has an SPF of 30. It’s also super watery – it must be properly shaken before squeezing the product out. It has a very thin consistency that dries down to a satiny finish. It also has super fine, really tiny microshimmers in it, which gives skin the best natural looking glow. The primer looks really yellow, but it goes on colorless – aside from the glow. Makeup lasts and lasts with this primer. I find that I reach for it when I am using very matte, oil-inhibiting foundations like Clarins Truly Matte Foundation because the microshimmers counteract the flatness.
7. Cle de Peau Correcting Cream Veil ($76)
I have a love-hate relationship with Cle de Peau. Some products I adore and will buy despite the exorbitant price tag. Other products I can’t stand, and I get offended at the price of items that do absolutely nothing for you. This primer, however, is well worth the price. At the same time, I get the sample sizes at the counter when I can…they are great for travel and give several weeks of use. This primer is a thick, creamy lotion. You don’t need a lot of it – a little goes a very long way. In fact, if you use too much you will get a distinctly white cast to your skin. Use the right amount and it sinks into your skin nicely, leaving no white or greyish cast. Skin is super smooth, lines are filled in, and makeup goes on beautifully and lasts all day. Pores look smaller and it lessens oil production throughout the day. Get a sample at the counter before investing, but I’ll bet once you try it, you’ll want the full size version. I love this under cream foundation.
8. IT Cosmetics Feel the Moment Anti-Aging Primer Serum ($38)
The Feel the Moment Anti-Aging Primer Serum is a thick, super hydrating primer that makes skin baby smooth. Ingredients include caviar extract, hydrolyzed collagen, peptides, hyaluronic acid, vitamins A, E, and C, argan and jojoba oils, and avocado. The serum is in glass jar with a dropper, and two drops is more than enough to prime and hydrate. It goes on slightly tacky then dries down to create a perfect canvas for makeup. This is just what I need for perfect makeup when I have dry skin. I have gone through two bottles of this and am halfway through my third!
9. Algenist Pore Corrector Anti-Aging Primer ($42)
This primer comes in an opaque airless pump which keeps the product integrity and effectiveness safe and sound. It does everything a great primer should do – it reduces the look of pores, creates a satin finish for easy makeup application, and it keeps that makeup in place and reduces fading throughout the day.
Ingredients include Alguronic Acid, which ramps up the anti-aging quotient. I am thrilled that over time it actually improves my skin – but I am even more thrilled with the immediate results of perfectly primed skin. And, of course, not looking like a sad clown with melted makeup at the end of the day is a huge plus!! The Pore Corrector Anti-Aging Primer has a beautifully lightweight texture that doesn’t feel heavy on the skin. While liquidy, it dries quickly and truly makes that beautiful canvas you need to happily play with all the rest of your cosmetics art supplies.
10. Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy ($7) So this is a bit of a cheat…it’s not a face primer, but it is such a fantastic eye primer I had to put it on the list. If you like pigment eyeshadows, you need this. If you have oily lids, you need this. Heck, it’s only seven bucks…try it out! A tiny dab makes eyeshadow not only cling to your lids for dear life, it also brings out a vibrancy you never knew the eyeshadow had in the first place. I think of my Pixie Epoxy as liquid gold.
The biggest difference I notice between my original list from five years ago and the one I have now (beside the price increases!) is the addition of primer/serums. Primers don’t just prime anymore, they also treat the skin. Most people probably only need or want one, maybe two different primers. I happen to be just a *little* obsessive about makeup, so my collection is extreme – but if you are looking for a primer, I am sure you can find something perfect for your needs on this list.
Ok ladies, what is your favorite primer? Is there another amazing primer out there that I just have to try?? There’s always room for one more! – Lisa