*this is a sponsored post with affiliate links*
It wasn’t funny at the time. When I was in high school, I wanted to transform my mousey brown hair into a darker chestnut-brown. The hair color looked amazing on the bottle. What could go wrong?
My hair ended up looking like a Halloween witch wig. I went back to the beauty store and got color remover…and my hair ended up looking like a Scarecrow wig. I am still scarred from the experience! So when Madison Reed offered me to the chance to try one of their revolutionary new hair colors that’s better for your hair, I was very, very reluctant. The last thing I needed was a hair disaster. But in the interest of beauty science and my compulsion to be a guinea pig for every new product, I agreed. Madison Reed says their hair care is better for you — was it better for me?
Madison Reed has 32 different shades, and their hair color is different because it is has no harsh chemicals. Their products don’t smell of ammonia, and they have no PPD or resorcinol which can cause allergic reactions. Madison Reed truly listened to what women were saying was needed in home hair care, and their philosophy is about meeting customer needs with effective solutions. Customer care is truly their number one priority. With 32 beautiful, natural shades there is definitely something for everyone. Madison Reed’s hair color products are also better for your hair – all 32 colors are PPD, resorcinol, ammonia, and paraben free. A kit for one treatment is $29, although you can also get it autoshipped every month for less. The cost of a trip to the salon for roots varies from $70 to $150 in this part of Michigan, so a kit from Madison Reed is definitely a bargain.
I typically get my roots done every 3 1/2 weeks. If I go any longer, it’s just too noticeable since my hair is a dark brown. However, I waited a very long 5 weeks after my last hair color to try Madison Reed. After consulting with the experts, I chose Milano Brown as my hair color. Finding the perfect color is easy through the Color Advisor, Color Translator, or mobile app.
The box arrived with absolutely everything I needed. Although I could have had my husband or daughters help me, I was determined to do this all by myself!
1. First, I put Barrier Cream around my hairline to keep the dye off my skin. A packet is included and had much more than I actually needed. I was a good girl and didn’t forget to put this on my ears and the back of my neck.
2. Then I washed my hands and put on a pair of gloves (two are included in the kit). I uncapped the activator bottle and put the ammonia and scent-free color inside. This part was fun…looks like a snake all curled up in there! Shook the bottle to incorporate the color and I was almost ready.
3. Next, I separated my hair into four different sections for coloring. Looks totally goofy but this sure helps with application.
4. I made sure I was wearing a zip-up top and got busy applying the color. This part was not super easy, especially for the back of my head. But then I figured out I could position my cabinet mirrors so I had a view of what I was doing, and that helped tremendously. I had a lot of grey to cover and was a little paranoid that I missed some spots…but it turns out I got everything! I used a comb after applying the color and that ensured an even and thorough application.
5. After applying the color I used the included cleansing wipe to clean up any residue, and it easily removed areas where I was a bit overzealous. I put the included hair cap on and went about my business for about 40 minutes. I would say the entire process (minus the time for picture taking!) was about an hour.
6. After, I showered to remove the hair color and used the included shampoo and conditioner (love love love these). I was a bad girl and didn’t use the 2nd pair of gloves for rinsing…but I had no issues at all with staining.
Afterwards, my hair was so silky smooth I was astounded. It was also shiny, full of body, and….no more grey hair!!! I am very, very happy with my results. Yes, Madison Reed is better for me! I am a total convert to at home hair coloring.
If you want to see if it is better for you, just click on this link HERE and get 50% off your first Madison Reed purchase with the code BETTERCOLOR. Believe me, you are going to love this – I am positive it will be better for you,too. – Lisa
*sponsored post by Madison Reed #betterforyou @madisonreedllb
Check out Madison Reed on Facebook