This morning I woke up late. I don’t mean 10 minutes late. I don’t mean one too many taps on the snooze button late. I mean an entire 45 minutes LATE. You know how it goes – getting sleepy kids up and ready, then stepping in who knows what…something that one of the pets threw up (you hope it’s vomit because any alternative you can conjure up is waaay worse), forgetting your phone and having to run back inside, all while knowing there is a meeting starting without you and YOUR BOSS IS THERE WONDERING WHERE YOU ARE. I am almost breaking into a rash just thinking about it. samples
For someone who is rather lazy by nature, making a commitment to my health by working out 6 days a week has been challenging to say the least. I swear, I can justify NOT working out so many ways I even impress myself with my insane creativity. One justification that just doesn’t work anymore is how awful working out makes my hair look, thanks to Marc Anthony Clear Dry Shampoo ($9). sample
I have long, color-treated hair that is a pain in the butt to wash, dry, then style, so I try to go as long as possible in between shampoos. I can easily get four days from a good shampoo and blow out…unless I exercise. After an hour of cardio and strength training, my hair goes totally limp and smells like sweat. I shower every day, but there is no way I am going to wash and dry my hair every day – so my absolutely essential hair care product is Marc Anthony Clear Dry Shampoo.
There are lots of great dry shampoos on the market, but I like this one in particular for several reasons. First, it does a great job at absorbing sweat and oil. It also gives my limp, yucky hair lots of volume and texture. Marc Anthony says it was developed with Nanotechnology and Zeolite, a micro-porous mineral, to cleanse hair without a chalky residue or gritty texture. Some dry shampoos are white, which makes using them a little tricky for those of us with darker hair. The Clear Dry Shampoo is (as the name suggests) clear, so it works for any hair color and doesn’t flake or build up, even when used several days in a row.
Here are my dry shampoo tips: trust me, it’s an absolute necessity to spray dry shampoo at least 6 inches away from your scalp. Any closer and it doesn’t diffuse properly, which gives less impressive results. I typically work out at night and I use my dry shampoo the next morning. I brush my hair, then spray Clear Dry Shampoo all along my hair line. After that, I section my hair and spray just at the roots. Then I clip my hair up and go about my business for at least ten minutes. It’s probably not necessary to wait that long – the point is you’ve got to let the spray completely dry before brushing or combing. Once it’s dry, I unclip my hair and rub my roots with my fingers. Since my hair is already brushed, the finger trick gives another boost of volume and the effect is like a miracle.
Since my hair is no longer a great excuse not to work out, I have been making my goal of 6 days a week no problem. My hair looks terrific, and I still don’t have to spend an hour every day washing, drying, and styling. Instead, Marc Anthony Clear Dry Shampoo gives me instant gratification while I wait for the not-so-instant gratification of exercising. If you don’t have this yet, go get it!! You can find it at Ulta and other large drugstores. – Lisa
In my book summer isn’t over until after Labor Day Weekend, so there is still plenty of time to go on summer weekend getaway! Whether it’s to the city, a cabin, or the beach, there are six beauty products that I always have in my bag.
Speaking of bags, I truly believe I have found the perfect one: the Red Oxx Gator Carry On Bag ($125). I bought this in red for a recent trip to Spain and it was PERFECT. I could not believe how many things I could stuff into this rugged little baby and still have room. It’s exactly what you need for a weekend getaway – room for all your clothes and your products, and it is the size of a large purse.
Along with the perfect bag, here are six products I was sent to test that you will want to always have packed so you can just grab and go on any last-minute adventure:
- Design.Me Puff.Me ($20): This is a tiny but mighty bottle of hair rescue. The spray powder not only soaks up oil and dirt, it also volumizes and gives hair wonderful texture. Bring this instead of bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Puff.Me is available in Cosmoprof stores nationally. I hear that Design.Me is launching other new professional products soon and I can’t wait.
- Me Clear Spot Treatment Device ($60): An absolute must for any trip! This small device is exactly what you need when you get that one big zit brewing under your skin. You know how that goes…everything is great until you feel a little pressure, a little soreness, and you realize there is a mega-blemish brewing that is going to totally ruin your weekend. The Me Clear Spot Treatment Device is your savior. Just press it against the area and the blue light goes to work, painlessly and quickly – the blue LED light makes eruptions vanish overnight through a combination of blue light, sonic vibration, and gentle warming. Standing there for the full two minutes can seem a little tedious, but I am astounded by the results and will never be without this gem.
- Saje Pocket Pharmacy ($59.95): Despite every effort, getting sick on a vacation happens. This awesome little pharmacy has therapeutic remedy roll-ons:
Peppermint Halo – headache reliefStress Release – promotes relaxationPain Release – reduce inflammation and muscle painImmune – helps alleviate cold symptomsEater’s Digest – helps soothe upset stomachs
So go ahead and eat too much, drink too much, stay up too long…there’s a remedy for every symptom of partying too much and having more fun that a person probably should.
- Soap & Paper Factory Jasmine Perfume Oil ($16): It is impossible to describe how amazing this jasmine scent is. It really is a little bottle of summer and tucks so nicely away in a bag or pocket. One discreet roll onto wrists and behind the ears is all you need to smell beyond amazing.
- Rimmel Kate Sculpting and Highlighting Kit in Coral Glow ($7): This beautiful Kate Moss palette has three shades for highlighting, contouring, and defining cheeks. You won’t need a separate eyeshadow palette – just use your fingers and pat onto eyelids for a beautiful glowy look.
- Rimmel Super Curler Mascara ($6): Even on the most low maintenance vacations I always make sure to put on some mascara. This mascara lifts so I don’t even bring an eyelash curler, and it really lasts in the heat.
Now keep that bag packed with these essentials and you’ll just need to throw in some shorts, a bathing suit, and a cover up (my picks below!!) for an awesome summer getaway. – Lisa
There are three things I am never, ever without:
- Dental floss – not much worse than an errant piece of spinach stuck between your teeth. My favorite is Oral B Glide Floss Picks.
- A great nail file. A snaggly nail can ruin a wonderful mood in an instant. I recommend a 180 grit file which is the best grit for shaping nails. I adore the For Pro 180/240 Grit Foam Board called My Love – you can find it on Amazon and it’s less than $3!
- Dry shampoo. There are many reasons why dry shampoo is your best friend – and my favorite these days is Revivogen Pro Dry Shampoo ($22).
I use dry shampoo the same day I shampoo, condition, and style. It gives my hair lift and texture. I also use it the next few days in the mornings for more volume and to get rid of any dirt and oil. Revivogen Dry Shampoo is a standout dry shampoo because while it gives my hair volume, it doesn’t make it tacky, and it makes hair smell clean and fresh. It’s especially helpful if you have very fine or thinning hair.
Natural botanicals and oil absorbing ingredients effortlessly cleanse the hair and scalp without leaving behind residue. This easy-to-use spray absorbs odor, sebum and oil. Use as often as needed to add volume and to achieve a fresh, build-up free feeling without washing.
The secret to using dry shampoo is to lift up hair by sections and spray only the roots. Use it sparingly, then let it dry for about two minutes BEFORE brushing. Then brush through to evenly distribute and get that fabulous and fresh volume.
Never be without the big three: dental floss, a nail file, and dry shampoo…and give Revivogen Dry Shampoo a whirl for extra days between shampoos of volumized, fresh smelling hair. – Lisa
*sent for editorial consideration
Got a hair emergency? There are two awesome drugstore products that will never let you down! PR samples
1. The Scunci Hair Emergency Kit ($7) has saved me many times over. The cute little zippered gray bag holds so much it’s almost like a magic trick. The kit includes bobby pins, elastics, headwraps, a jaw clip and polybands. Pretty much everything you need for any hair emergency you might encounter, including oversleeping, a sudden rainstorm, and that horrible moment when you discover the back of your hair (which you forgot to check before you left that morning) is an embarrassing disaster.
2. Let’s put this one into the ‘I never knew I needed this, but now I will never be without it’ file – the Conair Dry Shampoo Brush ($7).
I use dry shampoo all the time. I have long, color-treated hair that can’t take being washed every day…but second and third day hair is not kind to my bangs. They go all limp and look greasy. So I use dry shampoo to spruce them up – I spray along my hair-line all the way around as well as on my part. Sometimes I will use dry shampoo on first day hair for a little more texture and volume. And sometimes I use it because I am, as usual, running late and I just don’t have time for anything but hair triage.
Dry shampoo is awesome, but it has drawbacks if it’s not applied properly. Most dry shampoos have a white cast, which is not good for someone with dark hair who is always trying to hide those tell-tale grey roots as it is. That’s where the magic of the Conair Dry Shampoo Brush comes into play.
This brush has a combo of boar bristles and nylon bristles. The boar bristles are on the inside of the brush, and they distribute the dry shampoo into the hair while brushing out the dirt and oil. The nylon bristles on the outer portion lift up the hair and give it lots of volume. So hair is lifted while the dry shampoo is evenly distributed, making those tell-tale white patches a thing of the past.
The Conair Dry Shampoo Brush is a nifty invention that is absolutely worth the extremely affordable price tag. Pick up one of these babies for the best dry shampoo results possible.
Hair emergencies are going to happen, so you might as well remember the Girl Scout motto and be prepared – and these two drugstore finds are just what you need. – Lisa
*sent for consideration
Holiday parties. They can be so much fun…or they can be so embarrassing thanks to unforeseen fashion emergencies. Help is here with 5 essentials to save you from potentially embarrassing situations…who wants to be the subject of the water cooler gossip on Monday? Not us, and we won’t be with these awesome situational saviors that are all available at Ulta Beauty.
1. What is worse than making small talk with someone who has nasty breath? Finding out later that YOU were the source of the nastiness. The perfect antidote to bad breath (and exactly what you need to prevent it from happening in the first place) are the EV32 Breath Treatment Crystals. My favorite flavor is Peppermint, and an 18 pack is only $15 – a small price to pay for minty-fresh, inoffensive breath you can count on. A hip alternative to gum or mints, they ‘pop’ in your mouth – sort of like Pop Rocks (those of you who grew up in the 1980’s remember those!) and they fit perfectly in your purse.
2. Ok, bad breath is awful…but how about looking down and realizing you have a big old wet ring under your arms? I love the Pacifica Underarm Deodorant Wipes ($9). A single swipe keeps sweat at a minimum and does double duty as a deodorant as well. These are must-haves at a party, especially when you know that super cute guy from accounting is going to be there too.
3. Look, we all know – everybody poops. However, a holiday party is the WORST place to suddenly have an emergency digestion issue, but it’s all the more likely thanks to that rich food you aren’t used to eating. What is a girl to do??? Always carry a bottle of Poo-Pourri Before You Go Toilet Spray ($10). This stuff works. Just spray it on the top of the toilet water and regardless of the intensity or duration of your toilet emergency, there will be NO lingering scent. Everyone should have one of these. I have a friend whose mother puts one in everyone’s stocking each Christmas. No joke – get this!
4. So you are at a party and happen to look into a mirror. You suddenly realize that it looks like you’ve been up for an entire week binge-watching Homeland. Oh, and you also have a big old zit that definitely wasn’t there an hour ago. Duck into the bathroom and take care of both instantly with IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Anti-Aging Concealer ($24, the travel size is only $10!). The tube is a perfect size for your purse and the concealer looks totally natural but covers even the darkest circles, the biggest zits, and the most glaring red spots.
5. As careful as you might be getting ready, it’s inevitable – you get to the party and see gray roots that weren’t showing before. Or, your hair has gotten as oily as a 13-year-old boy who hasn’t showered in 48 hours. Or, your hairdo has fainted and become a flat, sad hair don’t. No worries if you have your travel size can of AG HAIR Travel Size Brunette Dry Shampoo (10.95)! This handy-dandy stuff makes oily roots, flat hair, and grey roots disappear like magic.
Don’t be afraid of those holiday parties…with these 5 miracles from Ulta Beauty you can party with total confidence!! – Lisa #UltaTrendAlert #StyleHunters4Ulta @UltaBeauty
So how did you meet your match…speed dating? Online website? Did you bump into him at the grocery store and then melt when he asked if he could squeeze your Charmin?
Prepare to meet your match – your color match, that is – with AG Hair Dry Shampoos. I found that three out of the four ‘flavours’ were matches for me, so the heck with monogamy. I am in love with the concept of a dry shampoo that actually matches my hair color, taking care of both excess oil and grey roots at the same time.
I am a big fan of dry shampoo in general for several reasons. First, it gives me another day or two before having to wash my hair, soaking up oil and dirt and refreshing my hairstyle. It’s great on freshly washed hair, giving it some texture and lift. AG Hair Dry Shampoos also have ingredients that add moisture and shine to hair. The ingredients include:
- Rice and tapioca starch – natural oil absorbers.
- Hydrolyzed silk protein – excellent moisture binding properties with low molecular weight, allowing penetration into the hair fiber, thereby strengthening and moisturizing the hair.
- Green tea leaf extract – powerful antioxidants protect and strengthen the hair, making it healthier and more full.
There are four types, or as AG Hair calls them ‘flavours’, of Dry Shampoo. The Simply Dry Shampoo has no color, and it doesn’t leave a white cast on hair so it works for all hair types and shades. Just hold the bottle about 8 inches away from roots, spray on, let dry for a minute then fluff with fingers. Voila, fluffy clean hair with lots of body! This is a great dry shampoo for texturizing and refreshing. It has three friends that do all the same things PLUS cover up roots.
The Blonde Dry Shampoo matches lighter hair shades. It not only covers greys, it also makes thinner hair look more full. This is not a match for my brown hair, but I know it will make a perfect couple for all of you blondes having so much fun out there!
The Light Brown Dry Shampoo is for those with light to medium brown hair. I have medium brown hair and it works perfectly for me. Here is a before and after comparison.
Lucky me, the Brunette Dry Shampoo is a match as well! This works for dark brown to black hair and I really love this for covering up my weird cowlick that is like a part down the back of my head. The Brunette Dry Shampoo has less red in it than the Light Brown Dry Shampoo.
Regardless of which flavour you choose, I know it will be a successful pairing. AG Hair Dry Shampoo is an awesome product and I highly recommend it You can find AG Hair products at Ulta and salons everywhere. Just use the Salon Locator on the AG Hair website. – Lisa
*sent for editorial consideration
www.aghair.com facebook.com/AGhair twitter.com/ag_hair instagram.com/aghair