Cosmetic surgery, once the domain of the wealthy, is now mainstream. People from all different financial backgrounds have procedures, and it certainly isn’t something to hide or be ashamed of anymore. 15 million people had cosmetic surgery in 2012, with an estimated 10% more electively going under the knife in 2013 (reuters.com). So what were the most popular cosmetic surgeries in 2013? Here is what MYA Cosmetic Surgery reports.
1. Breast Augmentation: this actually saw a very slight uptick, with an increase of 1% in 2013. Breast augmentation is by far the most common cosmetic surgery procedure. The average size implants are smaller, going from 410 cc’s in 2012 to a more natural looking 385 cc’s in 2013.
2. Rhinoplasty: nose jobs, while second on the list, fell in popularity 18% last year. The most common age for this procedure? Between 20 and 24 years old.
3. Vaser Lipo: check out that increase – plus 6,350 percent! This procedure is extremely precise and minimally invasive, making it a very popular option.
4. BA + Mastoplexy: this is a combination of a breast lift and a breast augmentation. It is especially good if you have gone through substantial weight loss, and is increasing in popularity.
5. Laser Liposuction: this procedure is down 59% thanks to competition from new, less invasive liposuction procedures.
6. Re-augmentation: not happy with your original breast augmentation? The sixth most popular procedure was a re-augmention. However, the number was down 17% from 2012 so apparently there are less and less unhappy customers out there.
7. Multi-mixed Area: are you looking for an arm lift, a tummy tuck, and some lipo on your thighs? 11% more people were investing in surgery on several different areas instead of just one.
8. Vaginal Surgery: not exactly dinner conversation, but women get this surgery to enhance either appearance or sexual experience. Interestingly, the popularity was down 12% in 2013.
9. Tummy Tuck: after three children, this is something I would consider doing! A tummy tuck can give you that fabulous flat stomach you had but never appreciated when you were 17 years old. The popularity of this procedure by itself is waning as people are opting for multiple procedures at once.
10. Multi Breast: if you need a reduction, uplift, and nipple correction, the term is Multi Breast. This procedure had the largest downtick, decreasing in popularity by 53%.
Most cosmetic surgery procedures are undertaken by the younger crowd in their twenties. The most common procedure for those of us in our forties? Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery.
While the popularity of different procedures varies from year to year, it is definitely safe to say that elective cosmetic surgery is here to stay. – Lisa
*this advertorial is based on information provided by MYA